lrheader Home About Media Contact

Monday, May 4, 2009

What's For Dinner???


Every day without fail, my family ask the age old question, “What’s for dinner?”

I used to tell them, Lirocatchamella, a word my grandmother used with her children when they asked the same question. It translates to “None of your business.” I’ve cooked so many different meals, until some nights I need help. I’m almost begging for an idea. The last thing my family wants to hear is LEFTOVERS!

Around 6:45 p.m. if I’m not in the kitchen or the family doesn’t smell anything cooking, they’ll ask… WFD? If my response is leftovers, OMG, you’d think I just shot Obama. Faces get long, and they get sick. “Leftovers,” might as well be a four letter word. It’s definitely a bad word in my house.

I’ve tried using other word like, redos, replays and do-overs. It doesn’t matter what you call it. Leftovers, is anything we’ve already had and is still hanging around in the refrigerator. My husband, Mr. I don’t really care for leftovers, says it’s a shame to throw away food, thus, throwing away money.

Mr. is right. We’re throwing away too much food. Leftover food goes in the refrigerator, and stays, until it expires. The next step is the garbage disposal. I’ve had to get creative. Making leftovers look like something other than leftovers is more than a magic trick.

Recently, we had leftover macaroni and cheese, and roasted chicken. Reheating the chicken would surely dry it out. Operation Leftover Makeover was in full affect. Generally, any leftovers, reinvented are called Tonya Helper. To the mac and cheese, I added a can of cream of mushroom, a can of Rotel tomatoes, and the de-boned and chopped chicken.

Wa-La Redos in disguise! I served it with a salad and French bread. I am the woman!

I’ve learned, although it took me years, just warming leftovers, and presenting them looking like the first go round, doesn’t always, almost never gets a favorable response.

I know you’re wondering, why cook so much? Well… I have a large family, and I can’t ever just cook a little. And we’re subject to have two to three of the kids friends over at any time. Secondly, we are a very busy family. From church, organizations, and sports it’s not uncommon to be away from the house three days a week. In the Spring and Summer, a two sport season, we’re out every evening. For that reason, I cook extra so that we can have leftovers. This frees me up from cooking every day, and we can eat before 9 p.m.

The Leftover Makeover seems to work pretty well. I wonder if they’ll ever figure it out?! It will just be my (our) little secret.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead make my day... comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin