lrheader Home About Media Contact

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Something's A Little Fishy



This weekend was the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission free fishing weekend, as well as fishing derbies all over the state. AGFC stocked ponds with catfish, and encouraged families to enjoy a great time outside.

The Jefferson County Recreation Association, founded in 1962, hosted its annual fishing derby, in M.E. McCoy park. My baby girl, god son, and I participated in the derby. To be exact... they fished, and I took pictures. Catching three fish a piece, the official limit, we gave them away after the weigh-in. I had NO plans of taking fish home to clean (gut and skin).

We were unprepared to say the least! Poles were provided, but I didn't think to bring bait, or anything to put the fish in. Thanks to others my children had bait, and a borrowed bucket to hold their fish. This year, baby girl caught a large fish, unlike the Tale Of A Fish, she caught a few years ago.

After a fishing trip it's only right to have a fish fry for dinner. Since we gave their catch away, it was my responsibility to provide the fish that would be dinner. I went to my fishing hole... WalMart, and in no time, dinner!

It was a great turn out, and a great time was had by all. I'm looking forward to next year, I might even.... who am I kidding. I'll be the one with the camera!

Sidebar:
This year marks the 50th Anniversary of The Jefferson County Recreation Association.  This organization was formed in 1962 by a group of Black farmers led by an Assistant County Agent, Mr. M. E. McCoy. This founding group of visionaries had three primary goals:

  • To purchase land to provide a place for meetings and recreational activities for adults and youth of Jefferson County.
  • To provide training for local farmers as they transitioned from manual labor to the use of chemicals and high tech machinery.
  • To leave a legacy of their accomplishments for future generations.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead make my day... comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin